Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Series of Identical Cubes

So just over a decade late I finally sat down and watched Cube. As someone who has always had an interest in horror films, Cube has spent a long time on my list of movies to watch, as the supposed pinnacle of Canadian Horror film-making. Was it worth the decade long wait? No. But it was still a pretty good movie.

Now I have a long list of gripes with this movie, but before I start going through those it's important that I make something clear. I enjoyed this movie. It's good. I would recommend you see it. However, it's not perfect. And, in my opinion, it could have been a lot better.

The other thing the reader should keep in mind is that I was not paying close attention to the math. A quick search of the internet reveals that there are numerous mistakes in the math presented in the film, which strikes me as incredibly sloppy; especially considering the importance of the math in the context of the film. Doubly so when some of the mistakes would have been life-threatening (if my understanding is correct). Of course, at the time this didn't bother me, because I was paying attention to the math in Cube in much the same way one pays attention to the science in Star Trek; as long as the actors make it sound plausible, you suspend your disbelief.

My other major complaint with Cube was with the way it was shot. Instantly recognizable as a Canadian film from the '90s, I found the film lacked visual flair. Not in the contents of the shots, but in the way those shots were... well... shot. Although uniquely Canadian, I never felt a sense of claustrophobia from the framing of the action. And perhaps that was intentional. Perhaps the director wanted to convey the hugeness of the overall structure, instead of the confinement of the individual rooms. If that was the case, mission accomplished. Regardless, I was disappointed by this, not so much while watching the film, but afterwards. I feel that a heightened sense of claustrophobia would have really increased the tension of the film.

I was also somewhat disappointed with the performances, specifically that of Maurice Dean Wint who played Quentin. Disappointed isn't quite the right word. I thought the performances were solid, but a little too close to over-the-top for comfort. Which is to say, they worked, but just barely. I found my suspension of belief faded every now and then, but given how far fetched the movie is to begin with, it wasn't stretched to the breaking point.

But enough nit-picking. The movie is good. It's tense, it's tightly scripted (ignoring the math stuff mentioned above), and most of all it's original. It's also a good Canadian film, which I can't help but feel a little pride over. The special effects are obvious, but work (especially considering the film's age). And the most important thing of all, the film comments on humanity and society. This, to me, is a cornerstone of good horror. Bad horror is hollow gore. Good horror has a message. And Cube is pleasantly pessimistic about human nature in its message. Perhaps a little heavy handed at times, but as I've said time and again, it worked.

And I guess, for all my complaining, the thing about Cube is that it does work. Every problem I've stated above is overshadowed by the fact that the movie as a whole successfully brought me in and kept me interested and entertained for the duration. And that, I would argue, is the most important part of any film.

So the final verdict? Watch it. Don't drop everything you're doing to watch it now. But put it on your list. And when you're in the mood for a tight, dark, suspense film, pick Cube up and enjoy.

2/3

No comments: